Sunday 11 March 2012

On Working On the Bust...

I've been experiencing trouble anatomically, creating the bust of a Downs Syndrome person. My experience lies with middle aged white males. The anatomy of Sean's head is very unique and through study of his facial features, I am no longer confident I can create a bust that will be clear to the viewing public that the subject has Downs Syndrome. Especially since Sean's physical characteristics of Downs Syndrome aren't very severe. I was very willing to keep trying, however, and wanted to prove to myself I could do this. During a one-to-one tutorial with Mr. Simon Granger, it dawned on me that the bust itself might be the problem. I began to visualize it objectively and felt it may be too cold, inhuman and impersonal. It may also objectify the person being represented, the very perception I am attempting to disuade. I kept seeing this slab of a head, empty, a shell of the real person and compared it to my photographs and past paintings, which are warm and inviting. I feel I still have to ponder on the notion of discontinuing this work but am more on the edge that this will not be appropriate in regards to be intended message.

No comments:

Post a Comment