Tuesday 21 February 2012

Development of thought process

Initially, I was studying my subject, Sean in a physical sense, as a person with a disability but I wanted to explore the idea more internally and in a literal sense. I began ideas of examinations of the brain. The idea was to exhibit that the brain of a Downs Syndrome was much in likeness to a generic brain. However, this idea still seemed too physical, with the comparison being on the physical aspects of the brain. I then found myself staring at the photographs I had taken of Sean in order to complete a Bust of his head. These photographs created a three dimensional image of his head and I began to position the photographs differently and saw that they could be arranged as though Sean was examining himself. 


After undergoing research and writing the Research Report, "Breaking the Mould: The Representation of Disabilities in Fine Art and in the Media", for University, my ideas evolved. In a portion of my paper, I wrote about the individual with a disability, having to constantly reflect on themselves because of ostracism and continue to evolve their social identities and self image as it is reflected to them by others and to others. The concept of preconception and misconception was a theme in my earlier works with Sean and the concept of reflection, the self-image and societal affects held expand on these themes. 


Reflection of self led me to consider the incorporation of mirrors. When creating the bust of Sean, I wanted to create a second one of a generic male for comparison, where their minds would be exposed and visible to the audience, as identical brains. This again was too literal, physical and one-dimensional in message. I thought of Sean's Bust looking into a mirror and reflecting on himself. My idea is, if the Bust's rear is facing the audience then their natural inclination may be to attempt to look into the mirror to see the Bust's face, making them part of the installation in the reflection of the mirror. This will bring the concept of society's influence on the individual into play. What the audiences' reactions to the face of the Bust are, will be reflected in the mirror and in essence their reactions to the Bust, are what effects the real person, Sean. In this piece, Sean represents himself and others with disabilities, mainly learning disabilities and the audience represents society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment